“You Are Forgiving” by Joan Y. Edwards
Are you forgiving? My answer for you is:
Yes, you are forgiving. You forgive yourself and others. You accept yourself and others. You are at peace with yourself and others.
Repeat these statements with “I” rather than “You” to make them true affirmations for you.
Yes, I am forgiving. I forgive myself and others. I accept myself and others. I am at peace with myself and others.
When others doubt your strength, you may do a little doubting yourself. It’s important to instill in yourself an unwavering belief in your strengths. Believe it is possible that you forgive yourself and others.
Meditate. Pray. Talk with your spiritual minister or counselor. They may help you see how to forgive.
Jesus Christ was one person who told us the benefits of forgiveness. Here are New Testament quotes that might be meaningful to you.
- Matthew 6:14-15 “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”
- Mark 11:25 “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
- John 8:7 “When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”
Alexander Pope says, “To err is human; to forgive divine.”
Lewis B. Smedes says, “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.”
- Bible Study Tools. “Forgiveness:” http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/forgiveness-bible-verses/
- Brainy Quotes. “Forgiveness:” http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_forgiveness.html/
- Got Questions. “What is the meaning of the Parable of the Prodigal Son?” http://www.gotquestions.org/parable-prodigal-son.html/
- Kate Swoboda. “How to Forgive When You Don’t Really Want to:” http://tinybuddha.com/blog/how-to-forgive-when-you-dont-really-want-to/
- Phillip Moffittt. “Forgiving the Unforgiveable:” http://dharmawisdom.org/teachings/articles/forgiving-unforgivable
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2016 Joan Y. Edwards
4 thoughts on “You Are Forgiving”
You really have us thinking this month…Good going!
I don’t recall hearing this quote before: Lewis B. Smedes says, “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” That will make you think twice about forgiveness.
In one of my counseling courses, it was recommended to try stopping someone’s ranting anger by asking, “What are you doing right now? And is it helping?” This is just another way to do what you mentioned here.
In a personal experience, I had to make myself stop telling a story about someone I thought I had forgiven. It seemed unresolved until I replaced those feelings of anger with feelings of love. That’s a step worth taking too.
Thank you for writing. I think the quote is so true especially for those who’ve harbored the anger, nourished the anger, and helped magnify the anger over a long-term period of time. They are in a prison with their anger and it’s destroying their ability to be happy. I pray right now for everyone who has unrelinquished anger.
What we focus on and spend time thinking about is what we will get. All the more reason to turn our anger over to God and pray for that person and for ourselves, so we can really let it go.
Never Give Up
Forgiveness is truly powerful. The Lord’s forgiveness for us as sinners is AMAZING!
Thanks for stopping by. It’s so good to see you. You are right. Forgiveness is truly powerful. The Lord’s forgiveness for us is very AMAZING.
I have experienced forgiveness from my family and friends which passes all of my expectations. I truly appreciate and love my family and friends because they love me and accept me with all my little foibles, shortcomings, and mistakes.
I can feel it when God forgives me. It’s like the sea in my stomach is calm and at peace. It’s the same when my family and friends forgive me. It encompasses your whole body and mind. Forgiveness is a very healing thing.
Never Give Up