“Promote, Market, and Sell Your Book” by Joan Y. Edwards
- Swap interviews with an author of the same kind of book. She/he interviews you on her blog; you interview him/her on your blog.
- Begin a blogging book blitz or blog tour on launch day.
- Have a Facebook launch party or a Twitter launch party with contests and prizes.
- Spread the word with Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
- Create a book trailer for your book on YouTube.com
- Ask and encourage people to do book reviews on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Goodreads.
- Suggest your book to your local library. Ask your friends to suggest your book to their local library. Most libraries have an online form to use. Take a copy of the book and speak to a librarian in person.
- Send a newsletter email with a contest to family and friends online.
- Send out post cards to family and friends or community
- Contact local bookstores to set up a book signing event. Some Barnes and Noble stores have panels of authors to join for a book signing event. If your book is not available to buy and return through Baker and Taylor or Ingram, book stores may order them there. If not, they may take five copies on consignment for a year. Usually, they want 40% discount. You pay for shipping there and return shipping.
- Contact retail stores to see if they’ll sell your book on consignment. For instance, a golf shop might sell books about golf. Usually, they may want a 40% discount. You pay for shipping there and return shipping. Get it in writing.
- Contact local organizations, associations, clubs to be a speaker. Those who attend may wish to purchase your book. Here are ideas for groups to contact: writers groups, Rotary Club, local women’s club, Elk’s Lodge, Moose Lodge, Civitan International Club, Kiwanis International Club, high school or college alumni associations, Elementary School PTAs.
- Debbie Ridpath Ohi. “Want to support an author’s or illustrator’s new book but can’t afford to buy it?” http://inkygirl.com/inkygirl-main/2015/6/19/want-to-support-an-authors-or-illustrators-new-book-but-cant.html
- D. Jean Quarles. “5 Tips to Writing Your Author Bio:” http://www.writersonthemove.com/2014/09/5-tips-to-writing-your-authors-bio.html
- Erin Entrada Kelly, Book Publicist. “YOU DID NANO. NOW WHAT?” http://www.smithpublicity.com/2015/12/you-did-nano-now-what/
- Jen Malone. Writers’ Rumpus. “Part 1: How to Help an Author (Beyond Buying the Book):” http://writersrumpus.com/2014/01/03/how-to-help-an-author-beyond-buying-the-book-part-one/
- Jen Malone. Writers’ Rumpus. “Part 2: How to Help an Author (Beyond Buying the Book):” http://writersrumpus.com/2014/02/07/how-to-help-an-author-beyond-buying-the-book-part-two/
- Jen Malone. Writers’ Rumpus. “Part 3: How to Help an Author (Beyond Buying the Book): http://writersrumpus.com/2014/03/07/how-to-help-an-author-beyond-buying-the-book-part-three/
- Joanna Penn. “How to Create a Book Trailer:” http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2011/01/07/how-to-create-a-book-trailer/
- Josh Funk. “How Can You Help an Author?” https://papajfunk.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/how-can-you-help-an-author-im-so-glad-you-asked/
- Josh Funk. “How to Buy a Picture Book without Buying a Picture Book:” https://papajfunk.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/how-to-buy-a-picture-book-without-buying-a-picture-book/
- National Pen Company. Personalized, colorful, distinctive, smooth writing promotional pens, stylus, magnets. http://www.pens.com
- Rachel Abbott. “Reviews: The Good, the Bad, and the Scams:” http://rachelabbottwriter.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/reviews-the-good-the-bad-and-the-scams/#
- Sandra Warren. “Book Trailers Made Easy:” http://sandrawarrenwrites.blogspot.com/2016/01/book-trailers-made-easy.html
- Sandra Warren. “Tag Team Marketing – Authors Helping Authors (contains additional marketing information related to book stores, retail stores, and organizations):” http://sandrawarrenwrites.blogspot.com/2016/03/tag-team-marketing-author-helping.html
- Smith Publicity. “How to Hold a Social Media Contest:” http://www.smithpublicity.com/2015/12/how-to-hold-a-social-media-contest/
- Valerie Peterson. “Book Signings and Book Tours – A Reality Check for Authors:”
- Vistaprint.com. Business cards, post cards, posters, car signs, etc. http://www.vistaprint.com
- Zairmail.com. Direct Mailing lists, post card templates. http://www.zairmail.com/
What? You’re not subscribed to my blog? Receive free gifts. Subscribe now. Join 700,000 visitors. You’ll be sent an email to confirm your subscription. Thank you.
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards, Author
Copyright © 2016 Joan Y. Edwards
Flip Flap Floodle Will this little duck’s song save him from Mr. Fox?
Joan’s Elder Care Guide A guide to help caregivers and elders find solutions.