“Do Something That Makes You Smile Today” by Joan Y. Edwards
It is important for your mental, physical, and spiritual well-being to do something that makes you smile every day of your life. Chances are you spend most of your day doing things to help others. It is essential to take a few minutes of time for you. Or things have got you so tense, you can’t relax. Do something that makes you smile today and every day. It’s healing. It is a gift you deserve. It is a gift you need. You may be working from early morning to night. You may be stressed from caring for others.
God says in Matthew 22:37-40. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.“
You may focus on helping others smile. Now it’s your turn. Once a day for at least 10 or 15 minutes, do something that is fun for you. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. It can be enjoying nature outside your window. Do something that makes you smile on the inside and the outside. It will help you be more at peace. It will help you accept yourself as you are. Truly wonderfully made.
What’s fun for you? What might make you smile. Here are a few ideas.
- Say a prayer of gratitude for your life and for little things that make you smile.
- Read your favorite scripture from the Bible
- When I was taking care of my Mom, when someone came to watch her for me, what was fun for me was…make a guess…Yes. You got it. Sleeping for an hour was fun for me.
- Take a warm bath.
- Take a hot shower.
- Walk in a garden, a park, or down your street.
- Watch one of your favorite movies.
- Drink a cup of hot tea or hot chocolate.
- Call a friend. Ask them to share a funny story or good news with you.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Draw or paint a picture.
- Read a book or look at comics to help you smile.
- Get a massage. Ah. A soft massage is so comforting.
- Get a manicure or pedicure. Getting polish with sparkles in it makes me smile. I’ve seen men getting manicures and pedicures, too…with no polish.
- Play a game.
- Take silly pictures.
- Do a google search for fun things to do near you. Amazing ideas will come up.
Each of you has many things that make you smile, that brings you joy. These are the things that are good for your mental, physical, and spiritual well-being. They will help you relax and enjoy being you. Go for it.
I did a post on this in July 2020. “Do Something Fun Today:” https://joanyedwards.com/do-something-fun-today/ I feel so strongly about this that I wrote this one for you today.
Please share with me 3 things you like to do that make you smile. I love hearing from you. More resources below my signature.
Thank you. You honor me by being one of over 1,932,368 visitors to read my blog. Need info about a certain subject close to your heart? Let me know. Please subscribe to receive an email when I post a new article to inspire, encourage, inform, and add humor to your day.
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards, Author
Copyright © 2009-2023 Joan Y. Edwards
- Good Housekeeping. “100+ Creative Things to Do When You’re Bored to Pass the Time:” https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/a26872864/what-to-do-when-bored/
- Jeff Payleitner. “What If God Wrote Your Bucket List? https://www.christianbook.com/wrote-bucket-things-dont-want-miss/jay-payleitner/9780736962704/pd/962704
- Check out the inspiring and funny quotes here: Inspiring Quotes. https://www.inspiringquotes.com
- Joan Y. Edwards. “Do Something Fun Today”
- “Funny Times:” https://funnytimes.com/
- Bill Harvey. “The Odds:” http://www.beholdcomics.com/gallery2.htm