“33 Books to Harness the Power within You” by Joan Y. Edwards
In a former blog post, 28 Craft Books to Help You Get a Grip on Writing, I said that you should read 100 books that empower you to believe you can do what you want. You have unexplored and unknown power within you. You need books to help you build and improve on the belief system inside you. Look for sources that match up with your personal needs to meet your goals. Locate books, DVDs, and CDs of the great thinkers, philosophers, and motivators. Read books that teach you how to harness the power of your beliefs, thoughts, attitudes, and attention to reach your goals. There are hundreds of positive thinking books out there. Below I named 33 books that I believe will be beneficial to read. Check for them at your local library, borrow them from a friend, or buy them from a used-book store.
God is within each one of you. He wants you to achieve your goals and dreams. “Believe and it shall be granted unto you.”
Focus on what you want. Where you focus your attention is what you’re going to get.
Be grateful for what you have. What you are grateful for, you will receive more of it.
- Bjorn Secher. Your Appointment with Success: The Way to Get Rich: http://www.amazon.com/Your-Appointment-With-Success-Rich/dp/0811901971/ Shows the importance of your attention and your thoughts in reaching your goals and getting what you want.
- Bob Proctor. You Were Born Rich: http://www.amazon.com/You-Were-Born-Rich-Proctor/dp/1920909028
- Creflo Dollar. 8 Steps to Create the Life You Want: The Anatomy of a Successful Life: Creflo Dollar tells you the importance of watching the words you say. He also tells the importance of reading the Bible. He says that if you change your thinking you change your life.
- Duke Robinson. Too Nice for Your Own Good-How to Stop Making 9 Self-Sabotaging Mistakes: http://www.amazon.com/Too-Nice-Your-Good-Self-Sabotaging/dp/0446673862/This book aims to help you let go of your need to please everyone. Help you to say “no” and feel wonderful about it. Help you to stop trying to control, save and protect others and simply support them.
- Earl Nightingale. The Strangest Secret. http://www.amazon.com/The-Strangest-Secret-Earl-Nightingale/dp/161720286X/ Think in abundance. Your thoughts attract experiences to match them. Nightingale motivates you to clear thinking and action.
- God’s People. The Holy Bible.Empowering words are found here: “Ask and you shall receive…Love is patient…Love is kind. Believe and it shall be given to you.”
- Gregory Hartley. Get People to Do What You Want: http://www.amazon.com/Get-People-What-You-Want/dp/1564149935/ You’ll find practical answers of how to win people over.
- Hale Dwoskin and Jack Canfield. The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace, and Emotional Well-Being: http://www.amazon.com/Sedona-Method-Happiness-Emotional-Well-Being/dp/0971933413/ This book helps you release feelings that keep you stuck in fear and nervousness. When you release the feelings, you can think clearly and make better decisions. You will be able to accept yourself and others better.
- Henriette Anne Klauser. Write It Down, Make It Happen-Knowing What You Want and Getting It: http://www.amazon.com/Write-Down-Make-Happen-Knowing/dp/0684850028/This book explains how simply writing down your goals in life is the first step toward achieving them.
- Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen. Chicken Soup for the Soul: http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Soup-Soul-Jack-Canfield/dp/1558749209
- Janine Driver. You Say More than You Think: http://www.amazon.com/You-Say-More-Than-Think/dp/0307453987/This book explains a meaning of body language. It could be beneficial in describing your characters, as well as insightful about you personally.
- Jeff Keller. Attitude Is Everything-Change Your Attitude, Change Your Life: http://www.amazon.com/Attitude-Is-Everything-Change-Attitude/dp/0979041031/ This helps you see how your attitude can affect your life and tells you how to change it.
- Jennifer Baumgardner. You Are What You Wear: http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-What-Wear-Clothes/dp/0738215201/ Dr. Baumgartner helps readers identify the psychology behind their choices, so they can not only develop a personal style that suits their identity but also make positive changes in all areas of life.
- Joel Osteen. Your Best Life Now: http://www.amazon.com/Your-Best-Life-Now-Potential/dp/B0026IBY1I/This book tells you to focus on using your skills and strengths to reach your goals. Joel’s philosophy is that God wants only the best for his children. This book gives you seven steps to a happier you.
- Joyce Meyer. Living Beyond Your Feelings: http://www.amazon.com/Living-Beyond-Your-Feelings-Controlling/dp/0446538523/ She discusses the way that the brain processes and stores memories and thoughts, and then – emotion by emotion – she explains how we can manage our reactions to those emotions. By doing that, she gives the reader a toolbox for managing the way we react to the onslaught of feelings that can wreak havoc on our lives.
- Kate Marshall and Dave Marshall. What I Love about You: http://www.amazon.com/What-I-Love-About-You/dp/0767923154/ It would be fun to answer the fill in the blank questions in this book about yourself, as well another person you love.
- Keith Harrell: Attitude of Gratitude: http://www.amazon.com/Attitude-Gratitude-Keith-Harrell/dp/1401902006/ Memoir of Keith Harrell and how he overcame stuttering and became a motivational speaker through a grateful attitude.
- Keith Harrell. Attitude Is Everything-10 Life-Changing Steps to Turn Attitude into Action: http://www.amazon.com/Attitude-Everything-Rev-Ed-Life-Changing/dp/0060779721/ 10 steps to build positive attitudes and rid yourself of negative baggage. Tells how to line up actions to meet your goals.
- Louise L. Hay. You Can Heal Your Life: http://www.amazon.com/You-Heal-Your-Life-Gift/dp/1561706280/ Louise says that if you are willing to do the mental work, almost anything can be healed. You create your experiences by your thoughts and feelings.
- Maxwell Maltz. Psycho-Cybernetics(Mind Steering): http://www.amazon.com/Psycho-Cybernetics-New-More-Living-Life/dp/0671700758 Your subconscious mind steers you to success or failure depending upon your beliefs in your subconscious mind.
- Merl Runion. How to Use Power Phrases to Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say, & Get What You Want: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Phrases-What-Mean-Want/dp/0071424857/ Speak without fear of misinterpretation or negative emotional responses. Master six basic methods for crafting power phrases for any setting and every social, professional, or interpersonal situation.
- Napoleon Hill. Think and Grow Rich: http://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Rich-Napoleon-Hill/dp/1612930298/ Do what you love as a service to others to grow rich.
- Norman Vincent Peale. You Can If You Think You Can: http://www.amazon.com/You-Can-If-Think/dp/0671765914/Dramatic, heartwarming stories of how men and women — of all ages and in all walks of life — transformed their lives and careers by following Dr. Peale’s philosophy of positive thinking. Learn to develop the vital knowledge of inner power to carry you over every obstacle.
- Paul J. Meyer (2003). Attitude Is Everything: http://www.amazon.com/Attitude-Is-Everything-Paul-Meyer/dp/0898113040/ Your attitude affects every facet of your life.
- Rhonda Byrne. The Secret: http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Rhonda-Byrne/dp/1582701709/ This book shows you the results of controlled attention, beliefs, and the power of attraction.
- Robert H. Schuller. Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do: http://www.amazon.com/Tough-Times-Never-Last-People/dp/0553273329/Reading this book helps you realize it’s not the end of the world. It leads you to “I have the power” thinking. It helps you say, “There is enough. I have an abundance of everything I need.”
- Shad Helmstetter, Ph.D. What to Say When You Talk to Yourself: http://www.amazon.com/What-Say-When-Talk-Yourself/dp/0671708821/ This book has great ideas to boost your spirits. Do something for others. Set goals that have action steps with them.
- Steve Chandler. 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself-Change Your Life Forever: http://www.amazon.com/100-Ways-Motivate-Yourself-Third/dp/1601632444/ Steve Chandler explains the nature of achievement. He doesn’t merely give you encouragement, he gives you options.
- Stuart Smalley and Al Franken. I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me! Daily Affirmations: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Enough-Smart-Doggone-People/dp/0440504708/Hilarious affirmations including: Today I will laugh at least once. When I visit family, I’ll stay in a motel.
- T. D. Jakes. Let It Go-Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven: http://www.amazon.com/Let-Go-Forgive-You-Forgiven/dp/1416547339/ Jakes shows you how to hurdle hurt and live in joyful freedom when you let go and forgive.
- Terry Cole Whitaker. What You Think of Me Is None of My Business: http://www.amazon.com/What-You-Think-None-Business/dp/051509479X/ This book helps you realize there is an abundance for you of whatever you need. It leads you to self-empowerment.
- Tom Rath and Mary Reckmeyer. How Full Is Your Bucket: http://www.amazon.com/How-Full-Is-Your-Bucket/dp/1595620036 When you treat others in a positive way, you fill not only their buckets but yours as well.
- Wallace D. Wattles – The Science of Getting Rich, The Science of Being Great & The Science of Being Well: http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Wallace-D-Wattles-Including/dp/1612931057/ The Science of Getting Rich is the basis for the movie The Secret. It explains the laws of attraction.
Thank you for reading my blog. Leave a comment. Please share your favorite positive thinking books with me.
Subscribe to my blog to receive a free gift, click “Sign Me Up” in the left hand column.
Like the Joan Y. Edwards page on Facebook:
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards
Copyright © 2013 Joan Y. Edwards